Spain • Portugal • Italy • France • Germany • The Czech • Netherlands

Saturday, November 20, 2010

The weekend + a few degrees warmer = a happy Berlin

So it has been insanely cold here in Berlin; the coldest we have experienced yet. Tyler even has to wear his new scarf he took one hour to buy in Lisbon every day! I am wearing layers of clothing including scarves, my new H&M knit hat and my new blue leather gloves I bought here in Berlin. Our hosts, Cedric and Lotti have been amazing taking us to interesting non-touristy places here in Berlin. We have been to two gallery openings, the art scene in Berlin is so rich and vibrant, and last night we had dinner at their friends Menga and Alex's flat. Their apartment was full of art and they had a new puppy, Ines, who is such a sweet pup! Later we went to Soho Club where you need to be a member to enter, and guess what, Cedric and Lotti are members! You are not even allowed to take pictures in the club because they do not want the press or anyone advertising their space.
Today we had breakfast at a typical Bavarian restaurant, white sausage and pretzels with sweet dijon mustard and of course what is a weekend breakfast in Germany without beer! I tried to refuse only to be told that it does not work that way. So I opted for a beer with lemonade, which was so tasty I drank the entire glass. Next we went to a Christmas market that does not open until Monday sadly, however, there were a few stands open early and so we got hot wine with spices and jaeger tea, which is a jaegermeister tea with honey. Two drinks everyone enjoys in the winter and the jaeger tea is a drink that hunters used to keep warm while waiting to, well, hunt. We passed by manz currywurst, preztel and roasted nut stands, the smells were unbelieveable. I think at one point I smelled my grandma's homemade spaghetti sauce, when Ty told me it was the currywurst. So yummy. Tonight we are going to a themed birthday party where you have to where black and/or white, should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment